Sunday, August 23, 2009

I Hate Public Speaking

Ever feel like there's a butterfly farm with all sorts of moths, butterflies, bees and maybe roaches right there in your tummy when you're about to do a presentation or deliver a speech?

Or you feel like something may just go wrong while you give a speech. A UFO may come knocking on the door asking for a durian, or your skirt/pants just drop, or the sky is falling, or the button from your top will shoot out like a machine gun.

Oh dear, I better stop at giving ideas.

Well, I can tell you that when I go up and give a speech, those are among the other million things that run through my mind.

Anyway, just to share; that it is normal to be nervous. I always remember what Prof Madya Dr Stefanie Pillai (our awesomely beautiful supporter who helped established UM TMC) said to me last time when I was real nervous at my first presentation in front of a large crowd,

"Its good to be nervous. You tend to do better when you're nervous."

See, when you're nervous, you tend to work harder at doing your best. If you're over-confident, you prolly wont strive as hard as you will when you're nervous.

And what she said is really true. In my case that is. Whenever I have to do a speech, regardless of whether in Toastmasters, class presentations, etc. My nervousness would be my indication meter on how well I'll do. I know that if I'm real nervous, it may turn out to be my best delivery.

Hence, I would just like to say that..its alright to be nervous. In fact, its good to be nervous. Manipulate that nervousness, transform it to a positive energy. Make the nervousness work for you in your speech delivery.

I was searching high and low for this clip since a year back! I wanted to show it so badly during one of our meetings but I just couldnt find the clip or at that time it was unavailable. I finally found it!

Hope you guys enjoy it :)



Remember: Have fun with your nervousness!

*Thanks Vincent for sharing the video!

From the desk of,
Kimmy Foo,
Immediate Past President 09/10
UM TMC

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Excellent advise on overcoming Public Speaking jitters! In fact many experienced speakers still feel nervous and still get butterflies before they get up in front of an audience. However, they have learned to control their nervousness. I remember one such speaker said: “I still have butterflies in my stomach, but now they fly in formation.”

Vincent Hor Speaks said...

You're welcome, Kimmy.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.